Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I Snagged an Offer!

While in New York City preparing myself for my Actor’s Theatre of Louisville audition, I received an email from the Artistic Director at Virginia Shakespeare Festival, concerning my audition.  
I GOT THE JOB!!
I was right about the good feelings that I felt about my audition, because I got the offer! What was the offer? Well, I will be working with them all summer, as an intern, staying on the campus of The College of William and Mary.  During the summer I will get to play Servant/Ensemble in “Comedy of Errors” and Guildenstern in “Hamlet”. I am overjoyed.  I also get the opportunity to help with the summer camp that they do for 11-17 year olds (added bonus?).  All while actually getting paid! My first real paid professional theatre gig.  I’m growing up right before my own eyes.  
The College of William and Mary: Where I will spending
my summer with The Virginia Shakespeare Festival.
I did have a few reservations before accepting the offer. As anyone should before signing on the dotted line.  The loudest voice came from the egotistical actor inside of me. He said, “Well, if you got this on your first audition who’s to say that you can’t get something better at all the other auditions?”.  Yah, he’s full of himself. That voice was quickly subsided when the practical actor in me realized that a job is a job and this one was a good job.  I was getting the opportunity to be in two classic Shakespeare plays (great for my growing resume) and I was also getting paid and housed (things not always guaranteed early on in your career).  Most importantly of all, I needed to realize that, yes, I am doing all these auditions, but who’s to say that any of those companies would hire me? even take interest in me like Virginia Shakespeare had? I should be pleased to have gotten the job on the first audition and happy that I will not be an unemployed actor upon graduation day. So I did the right thing. I humbly accepted the offer and am very excited to spend a summer with them.  I hope to develop a really good relationship with this theatre, as they seem like a really good theatre to get your career jumpstarted with. What would make it even more perfect is if the guy who got called back for Rosencrantz got the job too. I can dream right?
Also, now that I have my summer booked I can completely focus on finding a good year-long internship at a theatre I respect and want to work for.  Finding that awesome internship is hard, but it’s even harder finding one that focuses on acting. Now that I have the summer off of my mind, I can dedicate myself fully to the year. In pursuit of this goal, I just sent off a cover letter, headshot and resume to B Street Theatre in Sacramento, CA.  Their internship looks awesome and I'm hoping they will consider me at SETC.
But anyways, on we go! 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats John! I'm looking for summer work too. Driving me crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers